Saturday, August 11, 2007

Evaluation for English Term 1, 2 and Other Work

Evaluation of Term 1 and Term 2
English with Mr Sujee

I was a student who was not interested in the English subject; there was no substance in it that ever attracted me. It was instilled in my brain that English is a compulsory subject and you have to do it whether you like it or not. I have struggled all my life in English, it was the worst percentage on my report and I constantly regretted it. It became a norm getting shouting from my parents for not reading enough and speaking the wrong way but usual for a teenager I ignored them and took the valuable information in one ear and let it out the other. This had all changed since I started grade 10. Yes, the worst working year of my life, but as it goes, IM IN GRADE 10!

Arriving late for the first term hadn’t had an impact on my work but thinking of Mr Sujee been my teacher scared me out of my wits. I hadn’t expected a fun, energetic, enthusiastic and welcoming teacher. I will say I expected a strict and stern man. Well I was proved wrong. I was struck with work from the beginning, regretting at first been with this teacher who expected too much and over loaded me with work. Keeping up with the new pace and level of working and understanding was very high and it made me jump at first. Then again I had no idea of managing my time, planning my week or day or even organizing my work. But this had all changed I slowly, with the help of Allah, started adapting myself to the new way. The first term went fast and furious. It was an experience; I learnt my mistakes of reading or doing work. My heart grew interest in reading. I learnt things that bewildered my parents. I felt proud to be doing something for once. The Merchant of Venice, which was the first play of Shakespeare’s I ever did, was an eye opening teaching experience. The way we dealt with the text and the way our lessons were structured were very interesting, it kept the brain thinking. Learning a play is not the way you read any ordinary novel. The language usage is much different but very interesting. The way we analysed the characters, their behaviour and broke the scenes up to get the entire picture of the event helped me to understand. The first term past and upon returning to school, shockingly I remembered a lot of my work.

We began a South African novel, once again I expected it to be boring but wad proved long. I have enjoyed learning this novel so far. The activities and the way we place reality in our teaching amuses me. I won’t lie at the beginning of each English period; I say not another long hour of English. It all changes when I begin my lesson, learning on the internet and active board is exiting. Creating bloodspots and incorporating the internet in to our learning is exiting. I get amused with the technology we use. The idea of working with laptops in the class. It brings fun in our lesson. When I leave the class I am smiling and pondering over the things I heard and land up discussing it with my friends.

English I can say is a great subject if you learn it the way I do. I thank my teacher who is responsible for taking us this far and Inshallah will be with us for longer. All credit goes to him, the various things he does, the intense planning. I intend completing my schooling years with him as my teacher. It is a pleasure to be his student. The way he teachers strikes the brain and heart of every student. I have been having a lot of fun so far and intend to have much more. On the other hand I intend working harder to improve my marks as well as get more involved with class participation.
Jazakallah

Evaluation of Audio Assignment

I was given the assignment early in the year; it came as a total shock and surprise to my ear. I was totally taken aback and could not believe this is the type of projects I would be dealing with. How could it be possible for a grade 10 learner to go on radio, what was this teacher thinking. We not born geniuses or something. I regretfully had started the last week with it. I started with the planning which took intense thinking and jotted down ideas. Incorporating the idea of Elizabethan times made it trickier. I tried to stick with simple ideas. I compiled my transcript which had taken a few days. After discussing with my parents of how I should do it, I played around on the computer with my voice. Fussing the first few times I finally gave in. It sounded relatively fine. I successfully completed the task on time. It had been fun and amusing to listen to my fellow colleges’ voices. Seen the potential in me and others broke many barriers. Not having the fear of been placed down in front of others or someone listening to my funny voice had all disappeared. It opened the way of thinking and realizing our potentials. It was a great experience. It would be an opportunity to teach others or give them the same task, at first they would have the same repulsive reaction but later they would discover the greatness in it. I regard it as a good project.

Evaluation of Collages

We had made many collages each based on a different aspect we learnt. It is a way of explaining or viewing ones opinion in simple terms. As they say pictures paint many words. It is exactly what we do; we place pictures or many creative objects on a chart. Each thing would symbolise something. When we explained it to the class we tried to be creative and unique. Including actions and funny ways of presenting. I enjoy making charts especially with my friends. It broadens our mind set. This is due to doing research in the process. I would love to make many more. It is a fun way of learning.

Thank You Mr Sujee for the exellent lessons.


Evaluation of Power Point Presentation

I can now see were all this intensive learning is taking me. My skills are improving. I am opening my mind and using new ways of learning. Technology is an innovative way of learning. It is much more different to all other subjects. It’s a total different atmosphere. All this time the teacher would conduct a lesson from the active board, but now I have actually done one. I realise the effort put into each slide, in this project we worked with a group of 6 and it took effort and time. It wont be easy doing one yourself. Working with a group also made me see peoples potential and it was sometimes irritating when you have to beg people for work and so forth, but it equips you to learn from others and tests your patience. After working with power point and presenting. I did make few mistakes but I have learnt and am developing with technology. All this is possible with the help of Allah (God) and with a superb teacher Mr Sujee.

Jazakallah

No comments: