Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Proud Citizen of My Country

I stand before you today as a proud citizen of South Africa. Are you a proud citizen of your country? The place where you were born, grew up in, who blessed you with education and gained you peace.

I quote the words of sister Nuray from her poem Palestine:
“I’m a child who’s lost his home,
Who’s lost his friends and family
The Only thing I have left is my life
And the place which was left for me.”


This is a child, an innocent citizen of Palestine, suffering. No matter the difficulties they encounter, the struggle they go through. They remain strong believers of Islam and citizens of their country. Strangers thrash their homes, kill their family members but they are brave in their hearts. The old and young, rich and pour are all loyal to their country.

I quote again from her poem:
“One day I will be able to pray in Masjidul Al Aqsa freely
With my head held up high
With my people celebrating one day in joy
And having their right to live under a secure sky”

This shows her hope for her country. What she believes her future would be. It is a very bad time in her country, showing very little development yet she remains positive. She can see the green grass after the burning veld.

Can you imagine yourself in such a situation? Not knowing what is even happening around you but striving for your own survival. I doubt I will be able to stand and look in the eyes of my enemy without my legs trembling. All I will have is fear, no hope for my life. I tend to judge situations on the negative side, always thinking nothing will improve. But from today my thinking has changed.

In South Africa at the moment we are in an internal crisis. It is minute yet bringing the country down. We suffer from crime, government leadership, poverty, electricity problems and so forth. I think we are all aware of the problems since we have been degrading the status of our country and complaining endlessly at the problems we face.

We are so dependant on luxury equipment, if we are forced to do without it, it becomes a major problem. For the many years we had electricity did we ever thank Allah or appreciate your country for it. We take things for granted. Once a problem is at hand we start pointing fingers at every person to blame it on except ourselves.

Recently I attended a wedding; I sat by a table with female adults. The only discussion that was running, was the endless complaining of South Africa and how the are encouraging their children to leave the country. I think that if the youth leave the country, there is no future left here. Who so ever leaves this country on such basis I believe are cowards, harsh to mention but they are afraid to face the problems and don’t even put a bit of effort to improve the conditions.

Nuray of Palestine is suffering in a war, it is unsafe for her to leave the door of her house. Yet she lives in her country, stands with her people and prays to Allah. We cannot stand up for ourselves leave alone our country. All we say is flee, flee, flee; this country is heading six feet under. Why can’t we bring this land six feet on top?

After every happy incident there will be tough times, and after those tough times happy times will appear again. This is the cycle of life. So when a problem arises we cant go jump of a cliff or mourn the entire time. Start helping and make a difference in your country, the least you could do is guide your country back to positive times.

I intend living in my country, striving for the best. I want my children to live in the country I believe is blessed. I’m a proud citizen of South Africa and they will grow to be too. It’s your time to make the decision, are you going to flee your country or be a proud citizen?

No comments: